Astaxanthin is a natural super-nutrient that has recently received a great deal of attention in nutrition and medical circles throughout the world. This amazing fat-soluble antioxidant, richly supplied in salmon and a few other species of wild seafood, has been reported in clinical trials to:
- Reduce the appearance of wrinkles, dry skin, age spots, and freckles
- Boost the brain and nervous system and provide protection from free radicals
- Help reduce the visible signs of aging
- Promote joint and skeletal system health
- Enhance skin protection from sun-induced free radicals
- Increase strength, stamina and endurance
- Enable faster recovery from exercise
- Reduce joint and muscle soreness after a vigorous workout
- Enhance visual acuity and depth perception
Astaxanthin is responsible for the distinctive reddish-pink coloring of wild salmon, and is a major factor in providing them with the endurance to swim hundred of miles upstream to their spawning grounds. Astaxanthin belongs to a class of naturally occurring pigments called carotenoids, brilliantly colored compounds in food. The most common is beta-carotene, found in many vegetables.
But astaxanthin is much harder to come by. The only sources are a species of microalgae called Haematoccous pluvialis and certain sea creatures – like salmon – that consume microalgae.
Astaxanthin’s remarkable benefits are due to several of its unique characteristics, including:
- Its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and the blood-retinal barrier
- Protection of your eyes, brain, and nervous system from oxidative stress
- Its potential to reduce DNA damage caused by free radicals
Our pure Astaxanthin is made by natural marine microalgae (many products are from fungus and are less effective). Our 4 mg fish gelatin capsules provide an excellent daily dose.