Probiotics are dietary supplements containing beneficial microbes – bacteria or yeasts. Each of us host microbes that play a critical role in human health; a healthy intestinal tract harbors over 400 different species of native and transient microorganisms. These beneficial microbes:
- enhance digestion and the availability of nutrients
- supply antioxidants and other key nutrients, including lactoferrin
- aid in detoxification by favoring fermentation and helping to overcome putrefaction
- provide natural antibiotics such as acidophillin, bifidin, and hydrogen peroxide, all of which destroy pathogens
- Each capsule provides 12 billion microbes
Sugar and other simple carbohydrates, food additives, chlorinated or fluoridated water and antibiotics upset this native, normal flora, while cultured foods such as yogurt and fermented vegetables help repopulate it.